For the first week, I wrote 12,257 words. Since I’ll be away the last week of July, I have to submit early. That means I’m having to write 2,000 words for 25 days. So far, I have only skipped one day. I didn’t write a thing yesterday, because I was exhausted from work and also because my characters seemed to be wandering around without direction. I decided to take a breather and think about where they need to be going and how I should be getting them there. So, this week’s daily word count goal is 2,330+ words in order to make up for the day I skipped.
My Camp NaNo cabin is awesome. The writers are motivated and supportive, and we check in on each other often. It is definitely keeping me motivated.
I am so glad that I found #WriteMotivation when I did (at the last possible moment – 11:30 p.m. on June 30th) and signed up. The community on Twitter is fun and supportive, but what I love most is these Monday progress reports, because they keep me honest. I can also see how much I have accomplished and how much I have left to do.
So far, this is where I’m at.
My goals were:
1. Write 50,000 words in 25 days [Progress: I’m keeping up with my goal word count of 2,000 per day. I have written 12,257 words (1,743 below where I intended to be today). I’m confident I can catch up, though.]
2. Read 3+ books [Progress: I’m halfway through two and I’m sure I’ll be able to finish the third once I finish the others. I really need to work more on the third book, though, and I should be making more time to read.]
3. Send my manuscript to at least 10 agents [Progress: Um, I wish we could skip this one. I’m procrastinating because I’ve never done this before. My goal for this week is to submit to at least 5 agents.]
4. Gain 15 more followers on this blog [Progress: Yeah! I have 9 out of the 15. Thanks for following. 🙂 ]
5. Clear out my 2nd bedroom and organize the kitchen in preparation for accommodating my new roommate [Progress: Since I can only visit my apartment once a week (I’m living with my parents this summer because their house is 90 minutes closer to where I work), this one is tricky. Last week, I put a big dent in the second bedroom. My mother gave me a piece of furniture she’s had for years to put in my kitchen and I bought paint for it. I also found a little table to paint for a coffee bar. I still have to refinish those pieces, organize my bedroom closet, and finish clearing out the second bedroom. I’m going back to the apartment today and also working to clear out the bureau my mother gave me so that we can paint it this week. So, I’m getting there, but not as fast as I would like to.]
I hope this week will be more productive. I’m ready to start crossing things off as done!