I need a swift kick in the pants this week. I’ve gotten behind. I tell myself its because I’m artistic and perfection takes time, but really I just procrastinate.
But, that’s what these progress reports are for, right? They are designed to make you see your faults and improve.
This week, I wrote a total of 1,465 words. I’m not very happy about that, considering it puts me way behind on my goal of 2,000 words per day for 25 days in order to submit early and go to camp.
To catch up, I’m going to be pounding the keyboard this week. I am also on a mini vacation at my apartment today and tomorrow. I’m not leaving until I have 10,000 words written, period. I will still have to write a lot for the rest of the week, but I will catch up.
To be honest, my low word count isn’t entirely my fault. I had a bit of a setback with my plot. 10,000 words in, I discovered that everything I was writing was back story. I can still use it, of course, but not as Chapter 1 and Chapter 2. So, I started digging deeper and realized that I hated my plot. I much preferred what had happened leading up to it. That’s no good. Then, I discovered a new angle that I loved. So, that meant I had to toss the old outline and start fresh. It also meant I had a huge word count setback.
Camp NaNo took a hit this week, but I’m still working hard on achieving my other goals.
My goals were:
1. Write 50,000 words in 25 days [Progress: I am behind, but my mini vacation and the next few weeks should help me pick up the pace.]
2. Read 3+ books [Progress: Read 1. Huzzah! Nearly finished with the other 2.]
3. Send my manuscript to at least 10 agents [Progress: Working on that TODAY.]
4. Gain 15 more followers on this blog [Progress: I have 10 out of the 15 so far. This week was way slow. Not sure why, but I’m going to do my part increase the interest. I’ll post more and reach out more and see what happens. I’m trying not to put much weight on the number of followers I have. It’s still early, and I should hit 100 before the beginning of the year.]
5. Clear out my 2nd bedroom and organize the kitchen in preparation for accommodating my new roommate [Progress: 2nd bedroom is cleaned out. That took a lot of work, so I’m very proud of myself. I’ve been working in the kitchen as well. I have a piece of furniture to paint and I have to move it into the apartment. Then, I will be well on my way to being finished.]
I’m going to focus more on my writing goals this week than the others. I hope I’ll have a lot of progress in that area by next week!